Selecting the best baby formula can be quite overwhelming. Of course, this is due to the wide variety of options available.
We know that ensuring that your baby is getting enough milk is top of mind. Before making a choice, it is advisable to learn about the various types available and its compatibility with your child.
As usual, we are here to guide you through this process.
Baby formula may be powdered, concentrated liquid or in the ready-to-use form. The powdered and concentrated liquid formula must be mixed with water before use.
On the other hand, the ready-to-use formula has been premixed and is ‘ready for feeding baby’
Types of Baby Formula
1. Cow’s Milk-Based Bay Formula
Cow’s milk-based formula makes up about 80% of all formula types available.
Just like the name implies, cow milk is the main ingredient of this formula type. However, some babies are allergic to the protein in cow milk.
Therefore, it is advisable to consider that possibility before making a choice.
2. Soy Based Formula
Soy Formula contains a combination of protein and carbohydrates.
This type of formula is useful for babies who cannot digest lactose. Mothers who prefer a vegetarian diet for their babies consider it to be a viable option.
3. Hydrolyzed Baby Formula
It contains smaller protein units that improve your baby’s digestive process.
The Hydrolyzed Formula is designed for babies who are allergic to cow milk or Soy based. It is also an effective option for infants with protein allergies. Take note, it may smell weird because it’s broken down. So don’t throw the tin away once you discover this.
4. Specialized Baby Formula
This formula is made specifically for premature babies or children with certain medical needs. It should be used based on your doctor’s prescription.
Choosing The Best Formula for Your Baby – What to Consider
- Accessibility and Availability: When choosing a formula for your baby, consider the ease of access to the brand or formula you want. Don’t choose a brand you can’t find in your local store. Ensure that the product is readily available and accessible.
- Cost and Convenience: How much are you willing to spend? Your answer to this question will guide your selection process. Powdered formula is the least expensive of all available types. This is followed by the concentrated formula. The most expensive of all is the ready-to-use formula. You can switch between these formulas depending on your family’s need and convenience per time.
- Go for Quality: Don’t be swayed by the sweet talk of marketers but be guided by it. Do your personal study and select the best formula for your baby. Know what you want and go for it.
- Stick to the Plan: Stick with what works best for your baby. Be consistent with the formula you select. Also, it is advisable to consult your doctor before changing your baby’s formula.
- Usability: This is a very important factor. In fact, it is the most important of all factors. Usability depends on how your baby responds or reacts to the formula you select. If your child reacts to a particular formula, you may need to change it to suit his/her needs.
An Extra Tip
After carefully selecting the best formula for your baby, don’t buy so much at once. Buy a little quantity that would last a week or two and see how your baby responds to it.
If it works well, you can go ahead to buy in bulk.
Finally, remember to read the instructors on the preparation and storage of the formula on the pack. Consult your doctor before changing your baby’s formula at any time.
We are here to help you.
- Babylist (2020). How to Choose a Baby Formula. Accessed on 7th August, 2020 from https://www.babylist.com/hello-baby/how-to-choose-baby-formula
- Robin Elise (2020). Choosing a Formula for Your Baby. Accessed on 7th August, 2020 from https://www.verywellfamily.com/choosing-a-formula-for-your-baby-3860803