You are seeing all the signs of pregnancy. Your period is late, your breasts are tender and swollen and you have gained a few kilos. Let us not even talk about the morning sickness.
The internet says all these are symptoms of pregnancy. For some, this news may be a reason for joy. For others however, it is a cause for alarm. Regardless of which side of the fence you are on, you may begin to make some preparations.
What if I told you that you may not really be pregnant? That the pregnancy signs you are having may not be because a baby is growing in your womb?
Before you jump to any conclusions, take a deep breath and read this article. What you find out may either stop your worry or deaden your excitement.
In here, we have compiled 5 signs of pregnancy that may actually be symptoms of something else!
1. MISSED PERIOD
There is a reason why doctors always ask when you had your last menstrual period. This is because a missed or late period is one the most common signs of pregnancy. However, your period might also not come for a variety of other reasons:
- Hormonal Imbalance: Having irregular periods is a common sign that your hormones are off. At times, this may confuse you into thinking you are pregnant. Hormonal imbalances can be caused by stress, medications, and some medical conditions.
- Stress: This is a common cause for late periods. You may even miss your period entirely. Are you preparing for your finals? Working extra time to bag that promotion? Well, do not be surprised if “madame” comes a little bit late!
- Medical disorders: Some medical conditions can also make your period late. Especially ones which affect your thyroid gland or ovaries.
- Weight Changes: Your menstrual cycle may be affected if your weight changes too fast. Experts suggest that gaining or losing about 20% of your body weight can cause you to miss your periods.
- Contraceptives: Some types of birth control can also affect your period. Discuss with your doctor about your concerns if any about contraceptive options.
2. TENDER OR SWOLLEN BREASTS
This is also another sign that is usually associated with pregnancy.
Still, having aching or swollen breasts do not necessarily mean you are pregnant. It could just be a sign that you are about to have your period. Or it could mean that you are working too hard at the gym and you need to slow down a bit, especially with the heavy lifting.
Morning sickness is widely regarded as the hallmark sign of pregnancy. Truth be told, this is not unusual because it occurs in about 70% of all pregnancies.
Yet, puking your guts out is still no sure sign that you are pregnant. Vomiting or stomach upset can also be as a result of:
- Intense stress
- Intestinal issues
- Some medications
- Viral infections
- Food poisoning, amongst many others.
4. DROWSINESS AND FATIGUE
Everybody knows a pregnant woman is a tired and sleepy woman.
Especially one in her first trimester. This is because of hormonal changes. However, exhaustion and drowsiness may be caused by other reasons such as:
- Increased physical activity
- Reduced sleep
- Extreme weight loss diets
- Some medications
- Some medical conditions e.g low blood levels, depression, e.t.c.
5. MOOD SWINGS
Feel like your emotions are all over the place? Well, that could be a sign that you are pregnant…or not. Mood swings could also be as a result of:
Regardless of what the internet or other mothers may tell you, the only real way to know if you are pregnant is to take a pregnancy test.
You can even use a pregnancy test strip at home.
Even with that, do not jump to conclusions yet. Go to the hospital. Get a blood test. Have your doctor confirm whether you are pregnant or not. Only then can you be