As long as our obstetrician says it’s okay, we need to engage in moderate exercise during pregnancy
The recommendation is 150 minutes a week. This translates to 25-30 minutes of exercise daily. Examples of activities include :
- brisk walking
- daily house chores
- water aerobics
- Using a stationary exercise bike
I remember being told by my obstetrician to “take it easy” during my first pregnancy. I said to myself “ what does that even mean”? How do you measure that? I have loads of physical tasks I must do daily . What degree of physical exercise during pregnancy is
Well, according to an article in the British Journal of Medicine (Davenport Motola et al), the yardsticks are based on your heart rate , your age and something called a “talk test”.
If you can maintain a conversation but not sing a song while exercising you are on the right track if not, you are doing too much. That’s the talk test.
If you are less than 29 years old your target during exercise is a heart rate of 129-146 beats per minute ; for women 30 years old and above the target is 129-130 beats per minute.
Please avoid high impact sports such as basketball, football etc. especially if you didn’t engage in the prior to falling pregnant . If the weather is hot or humid please make sure you have with you and drink regularly from your flask of water to drink while exercising so you remain hydrated .
Remember, make sure you get clearance from your doctor on your state of health before engaging in exercise in pregnancy.
Mottola MF, Davenport MH, Ruchat S, et al
2019 Canadian guideline for physical activity throughout pregnancy
British Journal of Sports Medicine 2018;52:1339-1346.
- 10 Ways To Boost Breastmilk SupplyBreastfeeding your baby is a beautiful experience for every new mom. However, most babies don’t get to feed well due to inadequate milk supply. Breastmilk is composed of proteins, fat, water and other necessary minerals and vitamins essential for your baby’s growth and development. Of course, your baby needs the best supply of milk to […]
- 10 Positive Birth Affirmations For Every Pregnant WomanPregnancy and child birth is a tough process on its own. It is tasking both physically and emotionally, whether you go through labor naturally or through a C-section. Despite these difficult challenges, you don’t have to make your experiences a negative one. You can stay positive mentally, physically and emotionally by feeding your mind with […]
- Help! My baby is always crying!All babies cry as this is their only means of communication with the outside world. While this is normal, some babies can seemingly cry NONSTOP! In this article, we would run through the reasons most babies cry and how to stop them What are the reasons baby cry and how do I stop it? All […]
- Second Month of PregnancyPregnancy is new ground for most women and can even be scary without the right information at your fingertips to guide you through. So, breaking down the period of pregnancy into nine months, we would go through all the changes we can expect to see in you and the baby. We would also see the […]
- Common Skin Conditions In Newborns And How To Deal With ThemIt is quite common for newborns to have skin conditions. The reason ? The skin of a baby is quite sensitive. It’s easily affected by various factors such as bacteria, heat, allergies and so on. It is not a time to worry excessively. Although the conditions come easily, they are also short-lived. More severe ones […]