As long as our obstetrician says it’s okay, we need to engage in moderate exercise during pregnancy
The recommendation is 150 minutes a week. This translates to 25-30 minutes of exercise daily. Examples of activities include :
- brisk walking
- daily house chores
- water aerobics
- Using a stationary exercise bike
I remember being told by my obstetrician to “take it easy” during my first pregnancy. I said to myself “ what does that even mean”? How do you measure that? I have loads of physical tasks I must do daily . What degree of physical exercise during pregnancy is
Well, according to an article in the British Journal of Medicine (Davenport Motola et al), the yardsticks are based on your heart rate , your age and something called a “talk test”.
If you can maintain a conversation but not sing a song while exercising you are on the right track if not, you are doing too much. That’s the talk test.
If you are less than 29 years old your target during exercise is a heart rate of 129-146 beats per minute ; for women 30 years old and above the target is 129-130 beats per minute.
Please avoid high impact sports such as basketball, football etc. especially if you didn’t engage in the prior to falling pregnant . If the weather is hot or humid please make sure you have with you and drink regularly from your flask of water to drink while exercising so you remain hydrated .
Remember, make sure you get clearance from your doctor on your state of health before engaging in exercise in pregnancy.
Mottola MF, Davenport MH, Ruchat S, et al
2019 Canadian guideline for physical activity throughout pregnancy
British Journal of Sports Medicine 2018;52:1339-1346.
- Baby Poop Colors and What They MeanThere are many factors that can serve as indicators of your baby’s health. A classic example is baby’s poop color. Interestingly, baby poop colors vary consistently in the first year of life, especially as their diet and body changes. Although this is normal, it often raises many questions in the mind of most parents who […]
- 10 Potty Training Rewards For Your BabyWe understand that potty training is a really messy job. However, it also serves as a big step for babies and their parents. In most cases, successful potty training involves patience, perseverance, and determination. Irrespective of when this journey starts (or ends) for you and your little one, we’re here to hold your hand and […]
- 11 Interesting Facts About BreastfeedingThe choice of how to supply her baby with the nutrients necessary for proper development is important for every new mom. Although this is a personal decision, breastfeeding has so many exceptional benefits for both you and your baby. In this article, we’d walk you through 11 interesting facts about breastfeeding and why it is […]
- How To Fix Latching Problems While BreastfeedingEffective breastfeeding is important for proper development, good health, and general well-being of babies. While this memorable experience can be easy and fun, it may take a little while to settle into the routine of it, as some women and their babies initially struggle with breastfeeding, especially due to latching problems. What Is Latching All […]
- Effective Breastfeeding: 21 Tips For YouOne of the first activities for every new mom is to supply her baby with his/her first meal. Generally, this involves an important process known as breastfeeding. Although most women consider breastfeeding to be a natural and enjoyable process, it is by no means an easy one. Sometimes breastfeeding can be stressful, time-consuming, painful or […]