As long as our obstetrician says it’s okay, we need to engage in moderate exercise during pregnancy
The recommendation is 150 minutes a week. This translates to 25-30 minutes of exercise daily. Examples of activities include :
- brisk walking
- daily house chores
- water aerobics
- Using a stationary exercise bike
I remember being told by my obstetrician to “take it easy” during my first pregnancy. I said to myself “ what does that even mean”? How do you measure that? I have loads of physical tasks I must do daily . What degree of physical exercise during pregnancy is
Well, according to an article in the British Journal of Medicine (Davenport Motola et al), the yardsticks are based on your heart rate , your age and something called a “talk test”.
If you can maintain a conversation but not sing a song while exercising you are on the right track if not, you are doing too much. That’s the talk test.
If you are less than 29 years old your target during exercise is a heart rate of 129-146 beats per minute ; for women 30 years old and above the target is 129-130 beats per minute.
Please avoid high impact sports such as basketball, football etc. especially if you didn’t engage in the prior to falling pregnant . If the weather is hot or humid please make sure you have with you and drink regularly from your flask of water to drink while exercising so you remain hydrated .
Remember, make sure you get clearance from your doctor on your state of health before engaging in exercise in pregnancy.
Mottola MF, Davenport MH, Ruchat S, et al
2019 Canadian guideline for physical activity throughout pregnancy
British Journal of Sports Medicine 2018;52:1339-1346.
- How To Calculate Your Conception and Baby Due DatesIf you’ve been trying to conceive, a positive pregnancy test result would bring a lot of joy, excitement, expectations, and questions. In fact, one of the top questions on your mind may be how to calculate your conception and due dates. Don’t fret: we’re here to help you. In this article, you’d learn the process […]
- Top 10 Best Baby Hair ProductsChoosing the right hair products for your baby may sound a lot easier than it really is. In most cases, the process requires patience, skill, careful consideration, and of course, the right list. To help you on this journey of choices, we’ve compiled a list of the top 10 best hair products for your little […]
- 8 Ways to Tighten Loose Skin after PregnancyPregnancy comes with a lot of changes, that’s a fact. Sometimes, these changes may even affect your skin in obvious ways. Although most of these changes disappear after childbirth, you may still notice that there’s some loose skin left behind. In this article, you’d get all the tips you need to effectively tighten loose skin […]
- Lochia: All You Need To Know About Postpartum BleedingBlood flow after delivery is normal. In fact, it is a normal recovery process at the beginning of motherhood. This blood flow (or Lochia) is a sign that your body, especially your uterus, is returning to its pre-pregnancy state. Are you wondering why you’re still having blood flow even after delivery? Do you want to […]
- Cryptic Pregnancy: All You Need To KnowDo you think it’s possible for a baby to hide all through pregnancy? Have you heard strange stories about women who don’t know they are pregnant until the baby just pops out in the bathroom? When this happens, it is called a cryptic pregnancy. Although they are quite rare, cryptic pregnancies are not strange. In […]